* In 1863, when it became a Village, the population of the hamlet was 700.
*In 1864 W. L. Mathews started the Aurora Banner. After several owners, the Lundy family purchased the business and published the paper for 70 years.
* In 1881 the Fleury Implement Works leased the first telephone in the town.
*By 1879 Dr. and dentist J. M. Wells could fill teeth "so as to preserve them for life".
* By 1869 there were four hotels in the village, and the population had grown to 1,200.
* In 1888 a dedication to the new Town took place in the Methodist Church.
* Aurora had 28 telephones by 1888.
* In 1893 the Town had its first electric streetlights at Yonge Street and Wellington Street, Yonge Street and Mosley Street and 23 other town locations.
Homes Houses Farms
Rural Aurora Real Estate
Rural Aurora Real Estate:In the northeast neighbourhood of Rural Aurora many changes are underway. Where there used to be farms and open fields, there are now notice signs for new development proposals along the only two roads in the community, St. John's Sideroad and Leslie Street. The open fields and streams will soon give way to new subdivisions with paved streets, detached homes, townhouses, semi-detached homes, condominiums, seniors residences and future, mixed use residential /commercial buildings. The few detached homes that are remaining are over $700,000.00 with most of the properties already bought up by developers. Most land sales do not show up on the real estate Multiple Listing Service.
Rural Real Estate
In Aurora Is Changing
At present there are applications for at least 1,100 detached homes, 96 semis, 495 townhouses, 50-80 future townhomes and condominiums, 100-250 residential/commercial units and 5 apartment buildings with 400 units in a seniors living apartment block.
Eventually, this neighbourhood of the Toronto Real Estate Board will lose its rural flavour, and Rural Aurora will be rural in name only.
Johnston, James, Aurora. Its Early Beginnings, Aurora and District Historical Society, 1972.
Milner, Elizabeth Hearn, Aurora 1945-1965 An Ontario Town at a Time of Great Change, Ron Wallace, Publisher & Editor of the Auroran, 95 Edward Street, Aurora, L4G 1W1, 2007.