Schomberg History: The village of Schomberg at the corner of Highway 27 and Highway 9 is "a quaint, rural, farming community that still attains its unique heritage, fertile farmland and dense pine forests." It was originally named Brownsville after John R. Brown and his three Pennsylvania Quaker brothers settled there. John, a farmer, bought 300 acres of land. One brother, Thomas, built the first mill around which the village grew. Brother Garrett bought the mill from Thomas and eventually started the first bank in the hamlet. By 1850, Brownsville had a population of over one hundred, two general stores, a blacksmith shop, a tannery, a wagon shop, a liquor store and twenty-five homes.
Century Homes Houses
King, York Region
On July 12, 1861, the first newspaper, the Brownsville and Lloydtown Examiner, was printed. One of its main local issues was the lack of a post office. The residents didn't like having to travel to the Lloydtown post office a mile away for their mail. After much petitioning the Examiner was able to announce on May 23, 1862, that a new post office could only be located in Brownsville if the name was changed to Schomberg after a hero who died in the Battle of the Boyne. It seems that the name Brownsville was already in use near Woodbridge.
By 1895, the village sported a tailor shop, a bakery and confectionery, two hotels, a butcher shop, a blacksmith shop, a millinery store, a jewellery store, hardware store and a carriage works. The village was prospering and growing.
In 1902, the Aurora and Schomberg Railway came to Schomberg from Oak Ridges as part of the Yonge Street Radial Railway. Grain elevators, stockyards and livestock became commonplace. In 1927, the railway ended its operations as its business was being taken over by cars and trucks.
The population now is about 2,500. The village is well-known as the home of Canada’s longest running fair – The Schomberg Agricultural Fair which is held in May and is also host to the annual Main Street Christmas.
Semis and Links
Schomberg, York Region
Schomberg Real Estate:The rural nature is beginning to change. The century and heritage homes of the village along with the homes built in the last seventy years have started to take a backseat to newer, modern homes. At the Kings Gate subdivision south of Highway 9, new townhouses, linked homes, semi-detached and detached homes have added another dimension to Schomberg real estate. The styles, elevations and floor plans help attract more home buyers looking for a modern existence within a rural setting.
The Forestbrook Hills development off Main Street and Moore Park Drive along Roselena Drive, also, offers an upscale feel with detached homes in a rural, treed setting.
The prices are still affordable, as well, compared to homes of similar quality in larger centres like Newmarket and Aurora. The new development seems to signal a trend which should continue, especially with the presence of the industrial subdivision along Proctor Road and Magnum Drive which is important to support new growth with the necessary employment opportunities.
Industrial Real Estate
Schomberg, York Region
Gillham, Elizabeth McClure, Early Settlements of King Township, Ontario, Hunter Rose Company, Canada, 1975.